Birth Stories‎ > ‎

Henley's Birth Story

posted Feb 7, 2011, 7:20 AM by Rachel Supercinski
My water broke about 3 am and labor us progressing slowly. Dr.Rice let me labor at home til 7 pm but it was slow. At 9:40 pm, we got to St. Joseph's and they hooked me up to pitocin since my water has been broken so long and antibiotics because she just did my group b strep test yesterday and don't have the results of it yet. I cried when they hooked me up to everything but I was trying to keep in good spirits.

I guess it was around 10pm when things started to get going.  I was 1 cm when we came in to the hospital, they started a low dose of pitocin (increasing it every 30 min. or so), then about 1 1/2 hours later, I was only at 2cm.  The pain was setting in and I was having to really concentrate to relax through the contractions.  Not sure how long after that (Jake was a little delirious after having worked the 2am shift that morning before) but somewhere around 1:30am we think....I was only at 5 cm.  "Self-doubt" stage kicked in (which I remember telling Jake..."I'm transitioning to self-doubt, just want to let you know! ha ha!)  The contractions were becoming unbearable and I asked to watch the epidural video and sign the paperwork...just in case.  I was getting extremely discouraged and nothing Jake could say or do helped.  I sent him to the couch to go to sleep...I HAD to get in the mental game.  (He says "tell much for husband-coached birth.  You wouldn't let me help you!") I guess I progressed to the "leave me alone" stage pretty quickly.  Looking back, he did everything right and was so encouraging, it was my mental state that was so hard to get in control.  Anyhow, I got my mental game plan down and rolled with it...contractions were so intense I asked to be checked (Jake says it was about 2:30am by now) and much to the nurse's surprise, I was 9 cm. 

I progressed so quickly the last hour (4 cm in 1 1/2 hours), Dr. Rice barely had time to get there.  Henley Elliott Lewis was born at 3:18am, weighted 5 lbs. 10 oz., 18 inches long.  She is absolutely precious!  She arrived about 3 weeks early but is healthy and strong.  She scored a 9 on the Apgar and latched/breastfed within 1 hour of delivery.  It was a good thing b/c when she came out, she had low blood sugar (it was 38 and they said it needed to be at least 50 or else they would put her on an IV :-( I breastfed her about 20 minutes and when they checked her again, her blood sugar was 58 and then after another feeding, it was 67!  With Dr. Rice, we talked about how if I would have had an epidural, she may had been to groggy to feed and in would've gone the IV.  I thanked God for giving me the strength to continue through the pain and achieve an unmedicated delivery.  It was truly something.  At times, I still don't believe it was me in there giving birth to her.  It was certainly a higher power.  
Thank you again for everything you taught us in class.  You were certainly there in spirit with us. Things didn't go exactly as planned but it all just seemed to work out.  We have a healthy baby girl with a strong suckle!  Who could ask for more?